This for sale by owner boat selling guide is intended to provide information for private sellers like you to follow step-by-step to sell your used boats.
Step 1: Before You Sell Your Boat
Here is your guide to selling your used boat. We will show you the steps, and give you advice along the way.
- Boat sales overview: a step-by-step guide of how to sell your used boat.
- How to choose between boat brokers, dealers, or for sale by owner: the benefits and points for consideration for each option.
- Do you need a boat survey: a marine survey before you sell can uncover potential issues.
- How to prepare a boat for sale: fix it up, de-clutter, and deep clean!
Step 2: Advertise Your Boat
Now that you know what to expect from the market, you have to make some decisions: ad placement, target audience, selling price, and so on.
- Where to place your classified ad: online, print, or combination.
- How to price your boat for sale: know the market and be competitive with your boat price.
- How to select your advertising package on Boats.com: based on your needs, desired time frame, type of boat.
- How to sell a boat with an online classified ad: tips on how to take photos and write ad descriptions that will appeal to your buyers.
Step 3: Show Your Boat
The boat ad will generate calls and emails enquiring about your boat. This section gives you tips on how to handle the questions, saves you time by avoiding time wasters, and more.
- How to handle enquiries about your boat: get ready to respond to the phone calls and emails.
- How to spot time wasters: watch out for the signs.
- How to conduct a sea trial: show off the boat to the prospective buyers.
Step 4: Sell Your Boat
Negotiate the best price for your boat. Learn how to close the deal. Know the legal groundwork. Use the sales document checklist.
- How to negotiate boat prices: get the sales price you want for your boat.
- Be aware of online fraud: the best defence against fraud is education and awareness. Don't be a victim!
- Close the sale: overview of the paperwork you need to complete the boat sales.